Monday, July 28, 2014

My Week at a Glance

WI was able ro create many things during my week at Create Make and Learn.  I made a "robot" (mine is the one in the middle) out of led lights and other miscellaneous textiles.  To make the eyes light up I used conductive play dough which was really amazing to me.  This was one of my first creations of the week.  This will be such a great activity to help kids learn about circuits.  It will also address many of the NGSS.  Modeling, problem solving, creating an experiment....these are just a few of the standards that can be addressed with this activity.

I had a lot of fun with little bits.  These are magnetic circuits that do all sorts of fun things.  I created a long train that involved lights and movement.  It is hard to see in this picture but I was able to put a paper clip on a circuit and a jelly bean on the paper clip.  When the motor was on the paper clipand jelly bean noved in a circle.  I can't wait to use the kits we ordered to use in the classroom next year!  

A co-worker of mine even got his phone to connect with a circuit to play music.



Toy hacking has to be one of the best activities ever!  I used a toy turtle that lit up and played sounds to make a hat.  This is a picture of the circuit that was in the turtle.  I got the lights to work after several adjustments, but had trouble with the sound. 


After gluing the circuit into the hat and decorating it, my new friend and I created this light up hat.

A colleague of mine was a bit more adventurous and used a robot dinosaur....

...to create this.

Although making was certainly a hlight of the week I also had rhe opportunity to work with Wes Frye to learn about multi media.  With a group of teachers I made a paper slide video, video posted on Youtube, and an eBook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment